The Complete Guide to Advanced React Component Patterns
What you will learn
- Understand why design patterns are important and not just relying on if statements and more props
- You will no longer be or feel like a Junior/Intermediate React Developer
- Learn by mimicking real world examples by leveraging the popular Medium clap
- Understand custom hooks deeply. How they work and their invocation order
- Understand and avoid pitfalls with custom hooks and refs
- Leverage the compound component pattern to centralise logic within a single parent
- Understand these patterns explained as to a 5-year old - with detailed illustrations and guides
- Hate or love CSS, you'll learn to build components whose CSS/styles may be extended as willed
- Rely on the inversion of control to users of your component via the control props pattern
- Build relevant custom hooks you could re-use in your day-to-day work
- Evaluate multiple export strategies/API for your reusable components
- Bless your component users with ease via prop getters and prop collections
- Embrace state initializers for setting and resetting internal state within your components
- Master inversion of control via the state reducer pattern
- Compare and choose what React pattern is best for your component API
Section 1: Introduction
Section 2: The Medium Clap: Real-world Component for Studying Advanced React Patterns
Section 3: Custom Hooks: The first Foundational Pattern
Section 4: The Compound Components Pattern
Section 5: Patterns for Crafting Reusable Styles
Section 6: The Control Props Pattern
Section 7: Custom Hooks: A Deeper Look at the Foundational Pattern
Section 8: The Props Collection Pattern
Section 9: The Props Getters Pattern
Section 10: The State Initialiser Pattern
Section 11: The State Reducer Pattern
Section 12: (Bonus) Classifying the Patterns: How to choose the best API
Section 13: Conclusion
Build reusable React components without relying on if statements or more props! Use hooks & trusted advanced patterns!
- You are NOT an absolute React beginner
- You already know how to build simple React component
- You have a basic understanding of how hooks work at least useState & useEffect
Hey! hey! You've found a one-of-a-kind resource that teaches advanced React patterns in plain, approachable language with patterns geared towards building truly reusable components.
Make no mistake, thousands of engineers have learned React, but much fewer have mastered the art of building truly reusable components. Components that leverage trusted, proven and battle-tested patterns to make sure you're building production-ready, reusable components. This is the goal of this course. To set you apart as one of the few engineers who've mastered this!
Did you previously attempt learning advanced React patterns? Did they seem too difficult? Were they poorly taught in your opinion? Well, look no more. In this course, I'll walk you step-by-step and you'll be taught the ins and outs of advanced React patterns in such simple terms and methodology, you'll be surprised how the course makes such a difficult subject easy to grasp.
By the end of this course, you'll have learned patterns that'll set you apart and understand them enough to teach them yourself! You'll be impressive on your next React interview, gain the respect of your colleagues, impress your boss, but more importantly, you'll be proud of what you'd have accomplished afterwards.
We'll start from the ground-up, touch every important aspect of advanced react patterns and do so with real-world examples. No boring hello world apps here! We'll build a replica of the popular Medium clap component and lesson by lesson cover use cases (and edge cases) by implementing these advanced React patterns.
Here's what sets this course apart:
- You will not find another Udemy course focused extensively on advanced react component patterns! Go, do a search, you'll find none! Patterns geared towards component reusability.
- This course doesn't waste your time. While it is well explained, you won't get a course of 24hours you struggle to complete. It's a focused course you can finish in a weekend and arm yourself for life with knowledge.
- If you search the web, you'd find resources that promise to teach Advanced React Patterns, but none does it in the simple, approachable fashion this course employs. None.
- This course is taught by a Senior Frontend Engineer who's actually worked with these patterns. I've spent hours toying with these patterns. In fact, chapters were dedicated to the subject in my last published book!
- Searching videos can be hard. So, this course provides resources you can always refer to. An actual accompanying website has been built for this course so you can find whatever information you need after completing the course as fast as possible.
Besides just advanced patterns, you'll pick up a ton of other snippets of knowledge, including the use of my favourite React hook, certain best practices, handling refs in custom hooks, and even advanced animations in React.
This is the course I wished I took when I first learned advanced React patterns: complete, simple, approachable, with real-world examples.
See you later in the course!
In the course, we spend some time building a real-world component, The Medium Clap, for the sake of studying advanced patterns. See course curriculum - to be sure this isn't something that bothers you.
- You already know how the basics of building React components
- You know the basics of React hooks, at least, useState and useEffect OR are willing to learn it at a fast pace in the course.
NB: Not for absolute React beginners.
Who this course is for:
- React developers looking to build truly reusable components
- React developers looking to make a good impression on their (first) jobs
- React developers looking for a simplified approach to teaching advanced React patterns
- Intermediate React developers preparing for React job interviews
- React developers looking to level-up into Senior React engineers
+ See more